Tuesday, March 16, 2010

G-U-M-B-O

68/365
One of the best things my mom made for us while I was growing up was gumbo. Amazingly, I did not learn how to make it until I had graduated college. How did I go that long without learning this? Anyway, it's another photo series for this day. The most important part of any gumbo is the roux, which is made by frying flour in oil. The more you cook it, the more flavorful and delicious your gumbo will be. The hard part it to not burn it. You can cook and stir for 20 minutes only to burn it and have to start over. Talk about frustration!

This is my roux from beginning to gumbo will all the ingredients. My final roux was a little darker than the third picture, but that is a crucial moment in cooking and combing ingredients so I ignored the camera. Who wants to learn how to make a roux?







No comments: