Monday, March 8, 2010

Random stuff

59/365
The flowers my folks sent were fading so I pulled out the best remaining blooms for this little arrangement. In front is a fresh batch of peanut butter rice crispies. I was still taking it slow on foods at this point but was really craving something with peanut butter so I whipped this up. It's a really fast/easy treat. Of course, in trying to be healthy, I altered the recipe.

Original recipe:
1 cup light Karo
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups rice crispies cereal

Melt first three ingredients together, about 2.5-3 minutes in the microwave. Heat slowly by stopping to stir it often. If it boils, the treats will be very hard. Once these ingredients are melted together, combine with the cereal, mix well, and smooth into a cake or casserole dish. Cut before they completely cool.

Healthier (?) recipe:
2/3 cup sugar or splenda
2/3 cup honey
1 heaping cup low-fat peanut butter
5 cups multi-grain rice crispies
1 heaping cup oats (quick or traditional)

Same instructions as above. I used Splenda this time and I think I could get away with less if using Splenda, which tastes sweeter than sugar to me.

No comments: