Sunday, May 9, 2010

I finally have toe shoes!

108/365
April 20, 2010

Ta-da! This is are my Vibram FiveFingers, a shoe that lets you walk like you're barefoot without the danger of cuts and splinters. Years ago, I think when we were still in North Carolina (I vaguely remember showing them to an office-mate who made fun of them), I read about a concept shoe that was basically leather between your foot and the ground and I waited and waited for them to become available. Finally a few years ago they started selling them and it's taken me a while to get around to trying some on for size and choosing a style. This was not my first choice of color, but I took what was available.

Supposedly you have to adapt to barefoot walking (which is how I always am at home) so I started out just wearing them around the house for a few days, then I started wearing them on walks through the park with Shep. So far, I'm really happy with them. I still have some pain (supposedly nerve damage) from when I snapped an ankle ligament last year, and the way I walk in these seems to alleviate that quite a bit. As long as it's warm enough, these are great, even in the wet morning grass at the park.

For those of you considering these, they are kind of hard to put on. For me at least, it's not very natural to stick my toes in separate compartments. This style has a mesh covering over the top of the foot, which really slows down the process, but the ones without the mesh are much quicker to put on.

No comments: