Sunday, August 15, 2010

A feast fit for a dog

159/365
June 10, 2010

Sometimes Shep gets sick, with um, digestive issues. When all of your dog's time outside is chaperoned my you, and you pick up his poop, you know when the pup is sick. Vets suggest feeding a bland diet to keep from further upsetting the stomach. A bland diet however, requires effort and time so I just make a batch of it if I run out and keep portions in the freezer. Luckily Shep doesn't need this often, but when he does, I want him "stopped up" ASAP since he is stuck in the house when we're gone.

The basic idea is chicken (no skin--fat is bad for an upset dog stomach), rice, some fiber (I use sweet potato, some dogs like pumpkin), and oats. I usually cook the chicken in water, remove any fat and bones, shred the chicken and then cook the rice, potatoes and oats in the chicken water then mix it all together. Shep's pallet is not too refined, so there is really no such thing as overcooking any of the ingredients. I then add water to it when I feed him to get more fluids in him.

No comments: